Do you ever look around your cabinet dealership and think that there must be an easier way to do things? If so, you’re probably stuck in the past. A number of technological advances have been made during the last couple of decades that solve common problems in the kitchen and bath industry. The following tips can help you get your cabinet dealership or remodeling business up to date.
Tip #1: Be Open to Change
A previous post on the Dealer’s Voice blog discussed 7 excuses that individuals use to avoid changing, including the following:
- My best people will quit
- I don’t have the time
- I love system X but it lacks feature Y
- I’m not ready until I find a system that does everything
- I need to drive more sales first
- I’ve been burned before
- I have too much invested in my current system.
Although each of these reasons is valid, it is worth performing a genuine cost/risk analysis before ruling out change because of any one reason. Try to remain objective in your analysis, avoiding putting off change simply because it feels uncomfortable. We would not be driving cars if people had not taken the risk to learn to drive. Many of the most successful business around are that way because they embrace change.
Tip #2: Experiment
New technological advances have made experimenting with software a possibility, without having to pay a fortune for each program. Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is a process that allows companies to pay for subscription services to software, without committing large dollars up front. Previously, companies would have to invest big money in software before they knew if it would really work, then dump it the following year (at sunk cost) if they weren’t satisfied. Software offered as a service allows you to make improvements to profitability and cash flow much sooner than traditional software.
Tip #3: Purchase Software
Although the first weeks may involve slight growing pains, using kitchen and bath industry specific software like Equilibrium (formerly Aurora) can save you time, money, and hassle. Industry software can provide the following advantages:
- You can save paperwork, headaches and expenses from mistakes, by keeping the majority of your records online
- You can accelerate your orders by completing them electronically
- You can automate pricing and installation while controlling your margins at the same time
- You can keep track of all your employees’ schedules by using one integrated calendar
- You can find out everything you need to know about your prospects and jobs quickly
- You can have access to industry experts who will help you through every step of the process
Tip #4: Take the Handcuffs Off of Employees
The days of salespeople and other employees always having to travel to the office to get their work done are over. With current technology, applications like Equilibrium (formerly Aurora) allow people to work from virtually anywhere. The result is that your company is not only more productive, but that you get more out of your employees because they can get their jobs done more effectively from anywhere.